Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Portrait of a 3 Year Old


Ahhhhh....doesn't he look adorable. Sitting on his favorite train tracks, reading books, having dressed himself. LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING!!!! This moment is not a captured moment of innocence, it is pure defiance!

A friend told me that three is just two year old tantrums perfected. Yesterday we had a very "Three year old day". It started out well. Andrew woke up, fixed his breakfast, got himself dressed in his own chosen outfit complete with Sunday socks worn on his hands as mittens, and we headed out to the grocery store. He walked next to the cart and stayed with us the whole time. He even helped me carry the groceries inside. "What a wonderful child I have." I thought as I patted myself on the back.

Then it was lunch time. He didn't want to eat lunch. He wanted to throw toys at his brother's head. Ryan didn't appreciate this too much, as one might imagine. When he got out of time out, I told Andrew that it was lunch time and then naptime. If he didn't want to eat lunch he needed to go and take his nap. (This usually works). Andrew came up to me and hit me! "No, I am not going to take a nap!" I picked him up and carried him to his room. "Andrew, you are very tired and are not making good choices. I will see you when you wake up from your nap!" Then he kicked me! Then Mommy wasn't quite as nice. Even after my sternest, angry Mommy tirade, he lifted his chin and glared at me. "You better read me a story, Mommy!" I informed him that boys who hit and kick their mommies do not get stories, they get time-outs. "PUT MY PAJAMAS ON ME!" he yelled as he threw said pajamas at me. I walked out the door, telling Andrew that he could not come out until naptime was over. Andrew screamed at me for 45 minutes straight.

Then, silence. "Oh, he is finally asleep," I thought. I quietly crept upstairs, and there sitting in the middle of a huge pile of books he had thrown on the floor was my three year old wearing TWO pairs of the pajamas I wouldn't put on him, reading a book that I wouldn't read to him. "Hi Mommy! Whatcha doing?" he grinned devilishly at me when I opened the door.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

This is from Mary:
Hey Danielle,

I would have put this as a comment on the blog, but for some reason today my
computer thinks I speak German. This may be one of those times you regret
marrying Chad. I say this because I'm sure you did not behave like Andrew
is behaving, but your dear husband did! It's probably worse because Andrew
has the fierce independence of a first child to go along with the "I want
things my way" characteristic. All I can say is that you should never be
bored. I however, am finding myself quite bored. It's my challenge to do
something about it. Steve has been gone for the past three days and nights
which makes it even harder. Oh well, like I said, it's my challenge to
figure out what to do about it.

Thanks for the update. I enjoy catching up on the boys' progress.
See you in a short time.

Danielle said...

This is from Andrea:
Yikes! I just read your blog about yesterday. Hopefully, today will be much more harmonious. :)

Andrea

Rebekah said...

OH the joy of temper tantrums.....I know your pain all to well. And I understand your frustration. Time to a mommy time out and relax. Hopefully today is better!!

Hindmarsh Family said...

HA! That just made me laugh! Wait till #3 mixes it up even more.... I really do miss the preschool days... having my older kids in school now makes some of the harder preschool days seem so wonderful. No one can love your kids when they are naughty the way their mom does! You are an amazing mom... That is a great picture (good of you to capture the moment with a picture... proof for his kids!!).

Robert & Christy said...

What do you call it when then temper tantrum at age 4? Pure evil genius? I got a good laugh at your expense...but only because I have the same experiences more often than not :)