Sunday, March 23, 2008

"TOO MUCH CANDY" SUNDAY


Easter Basket Treats


Ryan enjoys his Easter surprises


Andrew with his Pre-Eaten CANDY


This is the piece we let him choose


"I have one for each hand...I'm good."


Are there anymore?










I love Easter. I love focusing on our Savior's sacrifice and the miracle of the Resurrection. I am grateful for the atonement in my life and that I can be part of an eternal family. This month we have had several very sweet experiences with Andrew as we have talked about the Garden of Gethsemane and the Resurrection. We have focused our Family Home Evening Lessons and Scripture study on our Savior's Sacrifice for an entire month. I thought I was doing a pretty good job helping him associate Easter with our Savior, Jesus Christ. I think if you asked him, he would even say that Easter was about Jesus. But the problem is that I do not think he realizes that Easter was today. I think all that he will remember about today is CANDY!!!!

We started off the morning with our Easter baskets. I didn't want them to be the big focus of the day, so the only CANDY I included inside was a chocolate CANDY Peter Rabbit, which I didn't let him eat. We ate breakfast and headed off to church where Andrew sang with the primary on the stand for the first time. (BTW...We had told him not to pick his nose while he was up there, and he didn't do it once. We were so proud! He ran down from the stand, "Mommy, I didn't pick my nose!" Only we could hear him, thank goodness). Then he headed for primary. When I picked him up, he greeted me with a very sad expression. "Mommy, my tummy hurts. I ate too much!" "Too much what?" "Too much CANDY!"

After a brief lecture on eating too much candy and a reminder about Peter Rabbit eating too much, we loaded up into our van and headed to Nanie Too-Too's house for lunch and an Easter Egg Hunt. Our friends the Prices came with us too.

I let Andrew eat one piece of CANDY from his basket when we were done hunting eggs. Then he ran off to play with his cousin Austen. (In fact, he was Austen's shadow the entire time). A little while later I discovered an empty basket. Andrew had eaten all of his CANDY! We told him no more. We gave him a lecture again about Peter Rabbit eating too much CANDY. I thought I had finally gotten through to him. Off he ran to the bathroom. He came out, headed straight to one of Too-Too's many CANDY dishes and popped a Hershey CANDY in his mouth. "ANDREW!!!! I SAID NO MORE CANDY!!!" "But Mommy, I went potty!"

We began to pack up and go home. Andrew went to collect his things. He re-entered the kitchen where all of the adults were standing around. His cheeks were bulging. "Andrew....do you have CANDY?" "Yes...I have 5 CANDIES!" (5 Hershey kisses were in his mouth). We picked him up and strapped him in his CANDY free car seat and headed home.

On the way home we stopped by to see Alex and Evin for a few minutes and had a fun time playing there. He ran around and worked off some of the sugar rush. We also got some great pictures in Ben and Jen's beautiful yard.

I know there are way too many pictures of today, but I just couldn't narrow them down anymore.

I know I focused the written portion of this entry on Andrew, but it was Ryan's first Easter. He had fun hunting eggs, eating two bananas by himself, and showing off his cute smile. He is such a sweet little boy.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh no!!! :) Who is his Primary teacher? I can't believe she would allow him to eat so much candy in Sunbeams! I'm so sorry Danielle! Krista brought candy for the kids and let them have it at the beginning of class. Andrew had a few too many pieces I'm afraid. We tried to curb it but he somehow kept managing to find more eggs with candy. Sigh. I hope he is doing okay today!

Cortney said...

Raelyn has been asking if candy is healthy since Sunday morning! She will ask about each invidual piece!