Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 5k


Christena and me before the race


Chad and Dave before the race


Christena and me after the race


Chad after the race
(I couldn't eat).


Each year our ward hosts a Memorial Day 5k Run and pancake breakfast. We have had plans to be out of town or recovering from a c-section the previous 3 years. But his year we were in town. Chad and I both decided to run it. He has been training with his friend, Dave at work for several months. Christena and I have been walking/jogging for a little while, but started training a little more intensely the past couple of weeks. We were averaging between 5 to 6 miles a day jogging/walking.

I didn't enter the race to win. In fact I was pretty confident that I would be the last one to cross the finish line. But I was determined to run the entire 3.2 miles, even if my running is slower than most people's walking. This is a really big deal for my nonathletic, super competitive self. For the first 32 years of my life, if I couldn't be the best or at least hold my own in an activity, I avoided it at all costs. (Sewing, any and all sports, playing a musical instrument, singing in public, chess, etc...). I never really bought the whole, at least you tried philosophy. Well, I have decided that I can't set that kind of example for my children. I think I missed out on a lot of fun as a kid because I was so worried about someone thinking I was really bad at something. So now that I am a mom, I am going to do things that I am really bad at. I am going to learn to sew and I am going to run in 5ks, even if I am as slow as molasses.

So I know you are wondering how I did. I ran the whole thing with my friend Christena, we didn't walk a single step. I made it in 33 minutes and 44 seconds. (Told you I am slow). The fastest time was under 19 minutes. I wasn't the slowest, though the surprising thing is, I really don't care. Finishing really was enough for me. Challenging myself has been euphoric and I am on what I suppose is a runner's high.

Chad also finished the race, though a little bit behind me. (He doesn't want me to list his time). He had injured himself training and has been limping all weekend. He has flat feet and new shoes, but he still finished. It was the longest distance he says he has ever run. Now it is my turn to embarrass him a little. Not only did my handsome hubby finish, he also stopped and helped a little 4 year old who had fallen off his bike and was crying with a skinned knee and elbow. (He plays it off and says, "Well I wasn't winning anyways" but I know he would have stopped even if he was in first place). A man that stops to help a child...well, there is nothing hotter to me than that! His kindness is why I married him. Chad, you are awesome!

Also wanted to say a special thanks to Aenea who watched my boys at the church so we could run! And to Christena who was my motivation. I couldn't have run it without you by my side the whole way!

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

That's awesome!! Good for you!! I ran several races when we lived in Utah. It feels great when you are done. I know of the "high" you are talking about!! Congrats again! That's awesome!!!
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

Mary said...

Chad and Danielle, I am so proud of you both. I know sports and running are not your "thing", so good for both of you. Way to go.
Have a wonderful week.

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!! I knew you had it in you! I am very PROUD of YOU!! Dad

Anonymous said...

Danielle - you are my hero! I really could not have done it without you. And way to go for marrying such a great guy too!
-Christena

Shelley said...

i really miss the 5k run - even though i never ran it! but the socializing and pancakes were always worth waking up early on memorial day. glad to see the tradition is still alive, and i'm so proud of you for running!

Wendy said...

Good job Danielle!

And tell Chad to stop making excuses!

Gina said...

Congratulations! You are amazing!