Monday, June 2, 2008

Dressing Myself


Andrew really enjoys dressing himself. He usually does a pretty good job. He has mastered buttons and zippers. He knows his left from his right. He knows that the tags go in the back. He even matches his clothes pretty well.

Despite all this knowledge, he CHOOSES to dress himself incorrectly often. He likes to wear his shirts backwards. He thinks it is funny to put his shoes on the wrong feet and his shorts on backwards. And believe it or not, I allow him to go out it public like this. He also likes to wear various pieces from his costume box outside of the home. Last week I took a little pirate to the grocery store and library.

I have a friend who allowed her little girl to wear her snow white costume to church each Sunday for months. I have another friend who does not allow her children out of the house if they have too many buttons buttoned on their shirt. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't let Andrew wear a costume to church or at a special event, but if he wants to wear his shirt backwards to a Memorial Day picnic, I am all for it! What about you? Where do you stand on the issue of public attire?

3 comments:

Cortney said...

How sweet!
After a few years of not letting anyone out of the house unless they were 'perfect' I've gotten better. :) Now the rule is just modesty. Obviously we don't wear dress-ups to church, but even though mommy cringes when Raelyn wants to wear sparkly high-heel shoes to the library, she's allowed.

Gina said...

I'd say I fall right about where you do on this topic...and many others actually. My kids do need to wear clean clothes, but I have let Kylie go to school many days this year in tights, skirts, and shirts that i wouldn't have chosen myself. Modesty is a must, but so far, she has been her own strict judge of that. She is very conscientious that her clothes are modest...but since I don't buy her anything that isn't, that really isn't an issue anyway. :)

Wendy said...

Yeah, I'm all for letting my kids where whatever they want. I tell them about the weather outside so they're warned when they start sweating in their long sleeve shirt and jeans in 90 degree weather, but how else will they learn!

I actually miss the days when my girls would wear tacky mismatched clothing. Now they're very into matching. Start of pretween years. Sigh.