Sunday, August 10, 2008

Peaches



We visited Pinehurst for Grandpa's birthday this week. On the way we passed a peach stand that had peaches for $12 a half bushel! I bought 2 boxes and picked up some for some friends, too. Friday I canned peaches for the first time. Who knew that a bushel would yield 14 quarts, 7 pints, 15 pints of freezer jam, and 25 or so peaches to enjoy together?

Ryan loves peaches and was in heaven. He eats them whole, peel and all until there is no pulp left on the pit. After I cut him off at his third peach, he went to the boxes to get one for himself. The box acted like a monkey trap. Ryan reached his hand in, but couldn't get his hand out without letting go of the peach. He refused to let go. I ran for my camera, but my friend was kinder and actually helped him free his hand. But not before I could capture the shot.

5 comments:

Share the Road said...

Your peaches look beautiful!!

Katie said...

Beautiful! They look very yummy. That makes me a little homesick. I used to do peaches with my mom until my fingers were prune-y. It was so fun but a lot of work!

Cortney said...

mmmmm.....I love peaches

kruegfam said...

Who knew, you would grow up to be so very domestic! I am so proud of you! And Ryan, what a smart boy!

Rebekah said...

i'm sssssooooo jealous! we can't all the fresh fruits and veggies where we live. i'm living vicariously through you!