Sunday, November 9, 2008

Backyard Camping and Mountain Hiking


We went camping with our boys this weekend. We decided for lots of different reasons (shingles, lack of vacation days, uncertainty of whether the boys would like camping, pregnancy, etc...) to camp in our own backyard. I set up the tent by myself before Chad got home from work. I am not sure who was more surprised, Chad or me.



We had a blast eating outside playing hide-and-go-seek with glow sticks, and jumping on the trampoline in the dark. We read stories and sang songs with our flashlights in the tent, then tucked in our two littlest campers who gladly crawled into the tent and giggled together for about an hour before falling asleep. It was so much fun! It was hard to capture pictures of our fun in the dark.




The best part was having our whole house at our disposal. I went inside and popped popcorn and made hot chocolate for a snack, since we can't have open fires inside the city limits. And I was able to use a real bathroom. (Andrew thought it was really cool that he didn't have to come inside to use the bathroom).




In the morning we got dressed and drove up to Hanging Rock for some hiking. (Our backyard did have some limitations). The boys had a great time running up and down the trails, climbing rocks, and playing in the waterfall. The scenery was beautiful.



When we returned home and took down the tent, Andrew was in a word....devastated. He fell upon the ground with real tears streaming down his cheeks. "Mommy, why does Daddy have to take down our tent? I don't want him to. I want to sleep in the tent forever. " In his prayers last night he asked Heavenly Father to let him sleep outside in a tent. I would say from his reaction, our first camp-out was a success and now we are ready to take the "show on the road" and camp somewhere a little further from home next time.

7 comments:

Mary said...

What a blast! And, what a good way to try out camping before doing the real thing. I can imagine how sad Andrew would have been to have his outdoor living space disappear.

Greg and louise said...

Oh the joys of camping. Y'all are going to have so many wonderful adventures. My boys grew up camping. Hagen Stone Park is a really nice, inexpensive, close by place to camp.

Kim said...

I still like backyard camping best. I don't have to pack up lots of stuff, and we all get to enjoy being outside. Although when it is warm out, we hear the air conditioners from our house and next door. But otherwise, we love being able to come inside when we need to. I'm glad your family had such fun.

kruegfam said...

Even better than the backyard, our favorite family camping spot was The Living Room"! Air conditioning, bathrooms and NO BUGS! The latter, a must for Rachel.

Gina said...

SO fun! I just love little Andrew's comments!

Jenny said...

We love camping. We still do the backyard thing when it gets to busy around here to actually drive somewhere.
I feel out of the loop on the shingles thing. Sorry for being oblivious about it! Do you have shingles? If it is you - What side is it on? Same side as your previous pain problems? (those are all Stanno questions...he is wondering)I am so sorry shingles are painful and not fun. I did exams on many shingles patients. It was more common than I had thought. You guys are in our prayers.

aenea said...

Looks like loads of fun! We've been wanting to take the kids camping, but I think it might be a little bit of a squish to fit a family of five in a two person tent! :)