Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day





Our family loves to celebrate holidays and Valentine's Day is no different! Chad took me out on a really nice date on the 13th, but the 14th is reserved as a family date.

For Family Home Evening this week we made our Valentine cards and mailed them off to our cousins. (I hope those who received them in the mail could tell they were trains. I was worried they might not survive the trip). Then we delivered the rest to our friends locally.



This week we tried to catch each other doing loving things and using loving words. If we caught someone being loving, we got to put a candy heart in a jar. When the jar was full we got to have a party for Valentine's Day. (Amazingly, we filled our jar up Saturday morning, just in time for our afternoon party! Imagine that!)




On Valentine's morning we woke up and made heart-shaped waffles together and served them with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. (My friend at Cub Scouts taught me how to make these cute chef hats). After breakfast we went to a wonderful primary activity at church together and then headed to Costco for a fun samples lunch.



After naps, the party began! We made heart-shaped pizzas together and ate dinner by candle light with sparkling cider.

We played a stacking game with candy hearts and Valentine Bingo. We also played a lot of Rock Band. For dessert we ate yummy chocolate fondue with angel food cake, strawberries, bananas, grapes, apples, and clementines.


(Andrew sorted all of his hearts before playing Bingo and was very concerned that RYAN kept eating the game pieces. He was okay with eating some himself, though).


(Ryan thought the game was see if you can fit as many in your mouth as you can stack high).

After dessert, we blew up balloons, put on our jammies, and had a Valentine's dance. We danced to the Laurie Berkner Band, our boys' favorite dancing music. It was a really fun day. We read a Valentine's Day story, tucked the littlest ones into bed and Mommy and Daddy enjoyed a quiet night alone.

(Ryan is pretending to be a tree).

11 comments:

kruegfam said...

You amaze me Danielle. Can I go back and let you be my Mommy?

Danielle said...

Mom, I'm just trying to live up to the standard you set.

Greg and louise said...

What a fun time you all had. I agree with Rose, you amaze me too.

Tiffany said...

What a fun valentine's day! I will have to remember some of your ideas to try them out next year...you are so creative! I am trying to make those chef hats for Aubri's cupcake birthday party this weekend where the kids are decorating cupcakes, but I am struggling to get the tissue paper to look right. Do you have any tips to help me? Did you glue or staple? Thanks. Tiffany

Danielle said...

I glued them. Then you pull the tops down through the inside and tie them with a little rubber band so you can control the puff. :) The cupcake party sounds really fun!

CR said...

You really are amazing! I wish you could be my kids' mom. And thanks for the trains, we loved them!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the hats!

I would love for you to link this recipe to my Virtual Valentine's Day Party.
http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2011/02/welcome-virtual-valentines-day-party.html

phasejumper said...

That sounds like a wonderful family Valentine's Day!

Erin said...

So stinkin' cute! What fun projects!!!

laughwithusblog said...

I love your family party! So fun!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

The hats still make me smile.

Thank you so much for linking to the Virtual Valentine’s Day Party on my blog. Please take a moment between now and the end of the party Monday night to visit a few of the other party guests. I would love to everyone who linked up to have other guests stop by for a visit.

Remember if you visit two guests and leave me a comment that you did you could win a $15 Visa Gift Card.