Sunday, February 22, 2009

Humpty Dumpty

I will begin this post by saying that I am an idiot. I have heard of mommy brain and people feeling like they lose brain cells with each child. I laughed along, but didn't really believe it. Just another excuse. But Friday, I lost my mind. I truly believed that at 7 months pregnant that I could outrun our garage door with no problem. I have done it many times before. It isn't that hard, it isn't like it goes really fast. So I buckled my boys into the van, ran back into the garage and pressed the close button. Then I forgot anything I ever knew about physics, gravity, or really common sense for that matter. I ran to the door hunched over in half. I remember thinking, "It is a little close, but I can still make it." Next thing I know, the garage door hit me in the back and pushed me forward flat on my stomach onto the driveway. HARD. My hands and knees hit next. The wind was completely knocked out of me and I laid there hoping at first no one had seen me. Then I realized I couldn't get up and decided I would really like someone to see me and come help me. No one came, and eventually I caught my breath, climbed into the car, and drove over to my neighbor's house. (I knew I couldn't carry the boys back into the house or climb our stairs). I bandaged up my bleeding leg and called the nurse who said I should come in immediately, but that everything was probably okay. A very worried Chad met me and the boys there.

They pulled out the doppler first thing to listen for a heart beat, and couldn't find one. I hadn't really panicked until this point. Then the nurse said, "Oh, I think it is just the doppler. " Luckily it was just the doppler. Eventually it worked and we heard a heartbeat that was just fine." Then the doctor arrived. She checked me out and everything seemed fine. Then she decided to measure me. She got his funny look on her face and measured me again. Then in a very sweet and unnaturally chirpy voice, "Well, you are measuring 5 weeks larger than you were two weeks ago. It probably doesn't mean anything, so don't worry. But I think we should do a scan just so you won't worry. Just in case something happened to your placenta. But I think it is all okay. " Well again, I hadn't really been worried until that point.

So they took me into the ultrasound room and all the nurses in the hall looked at me with worried glances and asked if I was okay and said "so sorry you fell," as we walked there. Again, making me a bit nervous. But when they did the scan everything was fine. Blueberry started bouncing around and moved into the perfect position to get this clear shot of her little face. They even switched over to the 3D scan for us at no cost. Everything checked out great. She was perfectly fine and healthy and strong. It was nice to be able to see her. There really is no explanation for why I was measuring bigger. But I can definitely tell a difference in how I am carrying her since I fell. My clothes fit differently and she is much lower. Maybe she got smooshed into a new position. Who knows. I am just grateful she is okay. And excited I got to see her again! Though now I think I would just like to wait until she comes on her own in April.

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Scary! I'm so glad you and little baby girl are alright. It's reassuring to get another ultrasound. Don't outrun garage doors anymore!

Laura said...

We are so glad that all is well. While we can't wait to meet this little girl...NOT YET! Love you momma!

Wendy said...

I'll tell you the same thing Craig sent me in a letter from Japan when I was pregnant with Callan (and had slipped down the steps on our deck on my way out to the barn)..."Can't you just sit down and be still like a normal pregnant person?!" Right!!

I'm glad you are okay, but I do believe it is true about becoming forgetful, etc while you're pregnant.

Love you! Be careful!

kruegfam said...

Daddy and I are thinking about grounding you..for the second time in your life! but this time it will be for making a BAD choice and sticking to it.

CR said...

She is beautiful! We're glad that you are OK.

Hindmarsh Family said...

That is too exciting...
Wait until baby #4... the mommy brain only gets worse (I hate to say).
She is a cutie... I've never had an ultrasound like that... but I hope to this time.
Take it easy, and buy a darn garage remote!!

Tiffany said...

Aaah! What a scare, it sounds like something I would do! I am glad to hear you and your baby girl are doing great.

Gina said...

I am SO glad you are okay!

thehiattfamily said...

I am amazed at how much I think she looks like Andrew in that ultrasound. I am so glad everything is okay.

Shelley said...

aaaahhh! i can't believe you weren't panicking b/c i was just reading your story. my stomach did a flip flop and my mouth got all dry. glad everything's ok. i totally freak out about stuff like that!

Christy said...

So scary! I'm glad it all checked out okay. That picture was the best one I think I've seen. What a sweetie.

Janine said...

Yikes! I guess it is easy to forget how much things change when you are in the third trimester! We are so glad you and baby are OK.