Sunday, June 14, 2009

Molly Meets Molly

I love being a stay at home mom. There is never a day that goes by that goes by that I do not think about how lucky I am to be able to be home with my three angels all day every day. It is what I have wanted for as long as I can remember. So as much as I adored being a teacher, (and I did truly love it), I never really miss the classroom or wish that I was still a classroom teacher. That is until I step into the front doors of Southwest Elementary. Then a wave of homesickness washes over me. My eyes start to water and my heart aches. It confuses me how going there can make me so sad, when I am really very happy to be where I am. I don't return often, because of the bittersweet feelings I have for days after I leave. I miss teaching. I miss the wonderful women whom I worked with. But not more than I love being at home.




But this week I went back for the graduation of my last little kindergarten class that I finished the whole year with. This was my favorite class I EVER taught. I have lots of individual students from my 8 years in the classroom who I adore and I am still in contact with, but as a class, this group was so special. The class itself had such a fun personality. Their parents as a group were phenomenal. The grade mom was Martha Stewart and Mary Poppins and Marie Montessorri rolled up in one. I had promised the kids at their kindergarten graduation that I would come see them graduate from 5th grade, but I didn't really think they would remember. I mean, they were only 6, right? They did remember, though. Two of them told their moms that I would be there because I had promised. So I was really glad I did go. Only 6 of my original 21 were there. I loved seeing them all grown up.

As a teacher, it can be difficult to choose names for your children. Sometimes a student you have can change your feelings about a name. I have a couple of names I will never be able to use thanks to one or two kids. But I taught several wonderful little girls in this class. In fact we included most of their names on our short list when we were trying to name our baby girl. One was named Molly. Molly was a spunky little kindergartener with a very vivid imagination and a great sense of style. She put together the cutest outfits in the dress-up center. I adored Molly. I am grateful that she was such a sweet girl and didn't "ruin" the name Molly for me.



She graduated this week and I got to introduce my Molly to my former student. Her mom cried when I told her we had named our own little girl Molly. I couldn't resist taking a picture of the two Mollys together. (Notice that the fifth grader and I are the same height.?!?! I had many fourth graders taller than me over the years).

1 comment:

CR said...

It is hard to believe they grow up so fast! I remember her from when I was a substitute in your class. She was one of my favorites too. (Shhh don't tell that we ever have favorites ;).