Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hilton Head Family Vacation in Pictures and one story


























Our Junior Lifeguard

We had a lot of fun on our vacation, with tons of stories to share, but I only want to share one tonight. On the last full day of our vacation, we headed to the pool. We had a great time splashing around and going down the water slide over and over again. Andrew and Ryan wore life jackets most of the time. When it was time to go, we told the big boys they could go down one more time. I wanted to grab a picture of Chad and Andrew going down. I had Molly in one hand and the camera in the other. Chad was on the slide with Masen and Andrew, and the rest of the adults and kids were next to the pool packing up. Or so I thought. Or maybe I didn't think.

Masen came down first and I snapped the picture above. Then Andrew, then Chad. When Chad came down the slide, the lifeguard and a man on the side started yelling, "Sir, sir. Your baby." No one really knew what they were talking about. Then I think we all saw Ryan in the pool with no life jacket on at the same time. He was at the very edge near the ladder. The life guard jumped in, Chad started swimming towards him, and I reached down and grabbed him out. I was shaking and trying hard not to cry. I threw Molly at my father-in-law and ran over to a chair and checked Ryan out like a mother dog checks her pups. I think if someone had come near me I would have growled. My emotions were that intense. But was my little Ryan afraid, was he choking, was he crying? No! Why? Because his quick thinking 5 year old cousin had seen Ryan enter the pool. Masen knew Ryan couldn't swim, and reached over and lifted Ryan's head above water as soon as he went under! Masen held him there above water until a grown up could get there and help! We were all so very proud of Masen. He truly was a hero.

I know even if Masen had not been there the life guard or Chad or Steve would have been able to reach Ryan. They were all just a couple of feet away. But probably not before Ryan had sunk under water and was choking. I think Ryan would have probably been traumatized. Yet because Masen reacted so quickly and wisely, Ryan was never really aware that anything was wrong. I have spent many sleepless hours imagining how horrible the "what ifs" could have been. What if Masen hadn't been there? What if Ryan had jumped in the pool where none of his family was standing instead of where all of us were standing? What if he had jumped in where the life guard wasn't standing and no one saw him go in? I am so grateful for the Lord's protection of my son. And I am thankful to my little Junior Lifeguard Masen! (There is a present coming to you in the mail from your grateful Aunt, Uncle, and cousins).

6 comments:

Wendy said...

How scary, but glad your nephew was so quick to act. Looks like the rest of the vacation was great! Seems like that's a great time to go--off season rates, but still warm.

Greg and louise said...

I know that was a very freighting experience. Thank the good Lord it was just a "learning" experience.

thehiattfamily said...

We had a blast! thanks for all the great pictures, I will have to get the rest from you later. I have not even downloaded our photos yet to see if there are any worth sharing.

Mary said...

That was so much fun. We loved the time together. Great pictures, good memories.

shelley said...

whew! glad all is ok. we had a similar experience this summer. but it took me longer to get freaked out and process what had happened. yay for junior life guards!

Andrea said...

Wow! That pic. of the boys holding hands going out into the water should be framed. Beautiful!