Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dates with Ryan

It is tough being the little brother. Especially when your big brother is your best friend. Andrew and Ryan love to be together. They are usually inseparable. Ryan is happiest when Andrew plays with him and has no desire for other company or playmates. If Andrew jumps off the slide, then Ryan will follow. Ryan's Christmas list is identical to Andrew's. Most of the toys that are appropriate for Ryan's age just sit there untouched, because he wants to play with Andrew's toys. Ryan even waits to see what Andrew will wear in the morning before getting dressed, then insists on wearing the same thing. (No wonder everyone always asks if they are twins). And trying to focus on just Ryan by having Mommy and Me with friends Ryan's age, just makes Ryan sad every week. "I want Andrew come with my friends." Whenever someone asks how old he is, Ryan responds, "I 4, like Andrew." He does not see that Andrew is bigger or older. To Ryan , they are the same and should always be at the same place and do the same things. If Andrew has a friend over to play, Ryan is right there with them, playing the same things. He usually doesn't even mind having to be the bad guy. The sun rises and sets on Andrew in Ryan's world. And Andrew loves Ryan, too. Andrew has even started to sleep in Ryan's bed. They stay up late whispering and giggling. And most of the time Andrew is really sweet and patient with Ryan wanting to copy him or tag along with his older friends. He is a great big brother.



With that background, it will be easy for you to understand why the last two weekends have been very hard on my little Ry-guy. Last Saturday Andrew was invited to a Star Wars birthday party for a friend. Chad and Ryan were going to go on a Daddy/Son outing to the museum. Ryan insisted that he did not want to go there, he wanted to go to a Darth Vader party, too. So instead Chad took him to Target to get a light saber and to Chick-fil-A for a milkshake and told Ryan it was Ryan's own Darth Vader party. Ryan had a good time, but kept asking when they were going to go get Andrew.



This weekend Andrew was invited to his cousin's Super Hero party. I took Ryan with me to this awesome outdoor craft fair that included a hay ride and farm animals. Ryan had a great time running around the farm and riding on the tractor. He was giggly the whole time. He was such a good boy and I really enjoyed my time with him. I asked him if he had fun. His answer, "No, I want Andrew to see the llamas."


Oh well. I wanted my sons to be best friends. I am glad that they love each other so much. I just don't know what in the world I will do with Ryan in the fall if we send Andrew to school. I think the teacher would notice the extra kid was a bit small, no matter how much he insisted that he was 5 like Andrew.

1 comment:

CR said...

That is SO precious!