Friday, December 11, 2009

At least I am not raising a kiss-up

I was practicing party etiquette with Andrew today. I talked about how kind it is for friends and family to give us gifts. I talked about generosity and gratefulness.

Here is our conversation that came afterward.

Me-Andrew what could you say if you open a gift and it is something you don't really like.

Andrew-(huge smile, sweet voice, dripping with honey) Oh, no thank you. That isn't something I like very much.

Me-I think that could hurt someone's feelings if you said that. Perhaps you could say, "Thank you so much for the gift. It was very nice of you to think of me." or You could try and find one thing you liked about the gift and say that.

Andrew- (with a fake frowny face and a very monotone "bored teenager" voice) Thank you for the gift. (eye roll) It was nice of you to think of me. (perks up) Um...Mom, I can say it like that with a frown and a mean voice, then they will KNOW I really don't like it.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Ah...a boy after my own heart. Say it like it is, brother. :)

CR said...

I love that kid, he is hilarious!