Sunday, September 12, 2010

Our "Mostly" Fun Labor Day

I think I am boycotting September next year.  Last year in September, Ryan jumped into a pool without a life jacket.  On Labor Day this year, we had another scary experience, with Ryan again playing the leading role.  I will get to that in a minute. 

Chad's parents came and visited us on Labor Day.  We took the kids to Reynolda Gardens in the morning. 

Ryan was here, too, but he managed to close his eyes in every picture. 


Every time Grandma and Grandpa visit, we like to eat lunch at Kimonos.  If we go without them, the kids always asks where they are.   Here is Andrew trying Sushi for the first time.  Not a big fan, yet. 

We played back at our house after wards with lots of cousins. This is when we had the very scary experience.  The "short" version of the story is that the boys were all playing Batman together.  Ryan was wearing a flannel batman costume and hooded mask over his clothes.  It was over 90 degrees that afternoon.  The 3 boys decided to play in the van and pretend it was the Batmobile.  The bigger boys helped Ryan get buckled in and closed the door.  They rode off on their Batmotorcycles (aka bike and scooter) and decided to play on the swing set, temporarily forgetting the third Batman shut in the Batmobile.  Chad was outside working on the lawnmower with his dad and brother.  I was inside with my Mother-in-law, Sister in law, Evin, and Molly.  Chad thought Ryan was inside with me, I thought he was outside with Chad.  When Chad finished the lawmower, he came in and asked me where Ryan was.  I said with Andrew.  He said "no he isn't."  I opened my mouth to say, "probably in the basement" but instead what came out was to go find him!  I still wasn't worried.  I sat in the living room and talked to my family while  Chad ran outside and found Andrew.  Andrew told him Ryan was in the van.  Chad says he panicked and that his feet didn't hit the stairs on the way down the deck to the van.  He was terrified at the thought of what he might find when he got there.  He opened the van door and Ryan looked up at him and said, "I got stuck.  And I cried a little bit."  

We really have no clue how long he was in there. (Chad guesses somewhere between 10-20 minutes.  I don't think it could have been that long and he still have been conscious.  It was really hot outside).  Ryan was very frightened, red faced, sweaty, hot, and thirsty.  But after water and ice packs, he seemed to cool down just fine.  (I think it took Ryan's parents a little longer).  We have played through all of the what-ifs all week long.  What if Chad had not asked where Ryan was?  What if we had waited longer to go find him?   I am grateful that the Holy Ghost whispered in Chad's ear to go and find his son. On our own, it really could have been much longer before we realized he was missing, since we thought they were all playing together outside in the fenced in backyard or in the basement.   We had no way of knowing that things weren't fine, other than the spirit prompting Chad to look for Ryan. After everyone else went home, we gathered our children together and knelt in family prayer expressing our gratitude for the protection Heavenly Father offered our family that day.  (Followed by a very serious conversation about how dangerous it is to play in vehicles). 

We had promised the kids we would take them to the Symphony Outdoor Concert for a picnic that night. It was movie themed and they were to wear costumes.  To be quite honest, I really didn't feel like going anymore.  I was emotionally drained and still not really calmed down yet.  (I know Andrew is just 5 and nothing about the incident was intentional, but I was still struggling with feeling angry and scared and mad at myself for not going to look with Chad, but sending him while I stayed inside.  A week has given me lots of time to calm down and gain perspective.  But at the time, it was a really big deal still).   However, I didn't think it would be fair to back out of my promise, just because I was a basket case.  I am glad we went.  It turns out that the concert was exactly what we needed.  A beautiful evening outside with yummy snacks, music, and most importantly, each other. 


1 comment:

Avni said...

oh man! I am so glad he is okay. how scary!
also - your top 3 photos are amazing. did you take lessons?