Monday, October 25, 2010

Milk and Bookies

My friend Ashley hosted the first ever Milk and Bookies event held in NC! She had wanted to do something to serve our community, outside the work she does at church. I loved the idea and was grateful that she allowed me to be part of the event. I had such a fun time volunteering with my family and several friends from church. Community celebrities came and read stories, children selected books to be donated to Brenner's Children's Hospital, then they wrote a note to go inside. They received a sticker that said "I Donated" and then were given milk and a cookie. We had a soldier, pirate, firefighters, local newscaster, the Mayor, Belle, Snow White, and two ballerinas.

My little sister Rachel and 2 of her friends from college came down to volunteer at the event. It was so fun to have them. They ran the milk and cookies table. Snow White and Belle came and read Princess stories.
My dad came to read stories, as did this awesome pirate!
Ry-guy loves his Papa!
Andrew had fun choosing out a book to donate and writing the card to put inside.
Then he placed his book in the basket and got to ring the bell.
Molly carrying her favorite book around that she wanted to donate and a toy she wanted for herself.
Belle had the princesses help tell her story.

SFC Krueger reads his favorite children's book.

Here is Ashely with the ballerinas who came to read stories. Thanks Ashley, for being such a fabulous example and friend! You are awesome! You have inspired me to go and find a cause of my own to support in our community!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Agreed, Ashley is inspirational and this was a great event! All of the special guests were so fun and enthusiastic and the cookies were delicious! Plus, all the volunteers were suuuuper cute ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with now!

Rebekah said...

what a great idea!! bet the kids had a BLAST with that!!

but i got to tell ya that when i first glanced at the title, bookies is not what I saw-lol!

Meredith Alexander said...

Thanks so much for posting this, we here in L.A. at the Milk + Bookies HQ were SO proud and excited with Ashley and all of her wonderful friends like you.

Thanks for the wonderful pics!

Ashley said...

Thanks for posting all of these great pics Danielle! It WAS so much fun and I'm a little sad it's over. You were such a huge help and support! It wouldn't have been what it was without all of the fabulous helpers. I'll be on your team for whatever your cause - but let's still team up for M+B 2011! :)

Elyse and Steve said...

I also had tons of fun. You have some really cute pictures of the event.

gaylynne said...

Thank you for posting and sharing the pictures and update about the Milk and Bookies. I'm Ashley's mother and she has been so excited about putting this program into action with such good friends. Thank you for being a great support for her. I wish I could have been there to support all of you...maybe next year. I live in Salt Lake City.