Sunday, December 12, 2010

First Snow of the Year

When I was a little girl, my mom and I didn't have a lot of money.   She was a single mom and we lived in a small mobile home together.  Despite our lack of worldly riches, my wonderful mother worked really hard to make Christmas magical for me.  We decorated the entire house for Christmas.  We tried to do lots of fun things that didn't cost any money.  I remember one night she took me for a drive through a neighborhood with large beautiful homes, all adorned for Christmas.  I loved all of the bright lights and sparkly decorations.  I can vividly remember one yellow house that had no Christmas lights, just simple wreaths with red bows hanging on each window.  I thought is was lovelier than any of the other houses covered with flashy light displays.  I imagined that when I was a grownup, I would buy a yellow house, and when it was Christmas, I would hang wreaths on every window.  I have lived in my little yellow "house of dreams" for 7 years now, but this is the first that we have managed to get my wreaths up.  I think the little girl I used to be would love it!

2 comments:

Cortney said...

Beautiful Danielle!!

(I'm partial to simple, classics decorations over lots of lights,etc!)

Gina said...

Love it!