Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's the Most Scientific Time of the Year

Christmas is a magical time in a child's life.  A time of wonder and excitement. A time to believe and a time to anticipate.  And at our house, a time to estimate.  Yes, Andrew has learned all about making charts at school with two columns.  One with your estimation of what something might be and a second with the actual result.  At school, I think they are estimating beans and counters.  Somehow Andrew has decided that this would work really well with Christmas presents.  So this morning I found him next to the Christmas tree, paper and pencil in hand, investigating each of his own presents.  "I'm feeling textures and shapes, Mommy.  I need to make a good estimate of what I think might be in here.  I will keep this list next to the tree and when it is Christmas morning, I can see if I am right."  He has even gone as far as comparing the sounds of other toys in our home with his presents to see if the sounds match.  As you can see from his face, Andrew is taking this very seriously.  



In a related story,  Daddy has created a new rule in our house.  "No one may touch any more presents until Christmas."  (Because Andrew has successfully guessed at least one almost all of them).

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

and that is the very reason why we don't put presents under the tree until Christmas eve.

Kim said...

Same here. No presents, of any kind, under the tree until after the kids are in bed on Christmas Eve. Even if the kids see a present come in the mail or something, it still gets hidden away. If it is a present to be opened on Christmas morning, then it is put out on Christmas Eve. I don't know how you keep little hands from opening up all the gifts!

Jessica said...

Hilarious!! I love it. What a smart and scientific boy you have!

Avni said...

um genius anyone? brilliant.