Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Humbled and Overwhelmed

I have been Missing In Action from the blogging world this summer, well from the world in general.  I had tendon surgery on June 16th.  Spent 2 weeks on bed rest, 4 weeks in a cast (one pink and one black one) on crutches, and so far 3 1/2 weeks in a walking boot.  August 3rd I got rid of my crutches finally and  August 4th was the first day I was allowed to drive since my surgery.  I am in physical therapy twice a week.
 

Being the mom of 3 little children on crutches was more difficult than I thought.   I wasn't able to do pretty much anything for them.  Everyday I felt like I was in an "I Love Lucy" episode.  Trying to cook on crutches, trying to carry Molly while on crutches.  But luckily I have 3 wonderful helpers.   They really stepped up to the challenge.   I don't know what I would have done without Andrew.  He made lunches,  got snacks, poured drinks, carried things, and even learned how to get Molly out of her crib.  He helped Molly in and out of her swing outside.  He helped her on and off the trampoline.  Read stories to his brother and sister.  He brought me anything I needed, anytime I asked.  He is such a sweet little boy. 

I also don't know what I would have done without such a wonderful and supportive church family and friends.   I have 2 to 3 appointments each week.  Each visit I needed one friend to babysit and one friend to drive me to the appointment.  I still have two friends each week watching my kids so I can go to the appointments.  Ten families brought us dinner during the first three weeks!  Our home teachers came and trimmed a few of our bushes.  Others have done my scouting calling for me all summer.  A friend from church came and cleaned my kitchen.  Then 2 different young women came and volunteered to help with the children 3 hours a day for the first week Chad went back to work. A friend drove my children to swim lessons everyday for a week.  Friends drove from far away to visit me, since I was stuck here.  (One even all the way from Alabama).  And of course my wonderful parents and sisters have been here all summer, whenever we have needed them.  Folding laundry, watching kids, taking my kids fun places so they aren't cooped up indoors, and helping me take the kids places like the dentist.

Wow!  Just reading that list makes me feel very loved.  And very overwhelmed with gratitude. I know that this very tiny trial is nothing compared to what so many go through.  It has only been 10 weeks of my life so far.  Not life threatening, not permanent.  But I personally have never needed this much help before.  It is humbling to ask for help and even more humbling to know there is no way I can possibly pay anyone back for all they have done to help.  That is hard for me. Like everyone else, I prefer to be on the giving side.  I don't like receiving.   I really like equality.  To me, fairness has always meant equal.  I am really uncomfortable knowing I can't reciprocate.   It has been good for my pride.

Speaking of pride...it is really hard to have any when you get to come to church every Sunday wearing these beauties.   I am quite the Fashion Diva these days.

(I will be updating the blog over the next few days with pics of summer fun the kids had.  I am going to file them under the right dates, so make sure to take a look back)! 



 

2 comments:

shelley said...

DANIELLE!!!!! i didn't even know! wow! yes, you are lucky to have great friends. wish i would have known so i could have been one of them!!! what happened to necessitate surgery, etc?!

Wendy said...

You are very blessed with compassionate people surrounding you. Isn't it wonderful to be part of a ward family? Hope you continue healing well.