Sunday, November 10, 2013

1st Annual SMA NC Walk and Roll

My amazing cousin Carrie Ann helped host the Carolinas first ever Walk and Roll to benefit Families of SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy).  Our cousin Nicholas has SMA, and our family walked together to show support for him.  He is a wonderful young man with incredibly strong faith.


Being the first in our state, it was a small event, but it raised over $10,000 for Families of SMA!  Several families participated, but I believe that Team Nicholas was the largest group there. We drove two hours away to Raleigh to walk, and there was actually another family from our little school there, too! Ryan was pretty excited to see her.


However those of us from Winston-Salem were no where close to the ones that came the furthest to show support. Grandpa Bud came from Florida just for the weekend!  We were so happy to get to come and be there with him. (Don't you love the orange and purple in his beard)?



After the one mile walk and roll, there were tons of games, lots of food, and a magician.  I can't remember the last time I heard Molly laugh so much.  She thought the magician was hilarious!



The prizes for the games were pretty amazing!  Andrew made sure he hit every single game, so that he would not miss out on any of the packages of cookies, candy, crackers, bubbles, and toys!



 Ryan's favorite was the fishing game.  I finally had to drag him away so that other children could have a turn.


When we finally got them away from the candy prizes, we had fun playing soccer together in a big open field.


We had a special Family Home Evening on the Monday night before and talked about the Walk and Roll. We talked about what SMA was, why we were walking, and why it was important to raise money for research.  It also led to a wonderful discussion about different challenges that each of us face in this life, why we have challenges, and how physical limitations did not change who we are on the inside.  We sang one of my favorite primary songs together called "I'll Walk With You."  Everyone participated in the lesson, but I think Ryan "got it."  I think he felt it in his heart and was glad in some small way, to be able to "help."   When we got home, Ryan asked me if he could wear his Team Nicholas pin to school.


  1. (You can click on the title to hear the song).
    If you don't walk as most people do,
    Some people walk away from you,
    But I won't! I won't!
    If you don't talk as most people do,
    Some people talk and laugh at you,
    But I won't! I won't!
    I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you.
    That's how I'll show my love for you.
    Jesus walked away from none.
    He gave his love to ev'ryone.
    So I will! I will!
    Jesus blessed all he could see,
    Then turned and said, "Come, follow me."
    And I will! I will!
    I will! I will!
    I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you.
    That's how I'll show my love for you.

No comments: