Friday, January 2, 2015

I'll Be Home for Christmas Eve

Having the flu, kept our family home for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.  I was kind of pitiful, but we tried hard to make it magical for the kids in spite of my lameness.  We were all very sad not to be at Nana and Papa's Christmas Eve.

We started off Christmas Eve morning making cookies for Santa.  As a little girl, I spent each Christmas Eve at my Grandmother and Grandpa Stone's home.  While my grandmother prepared to host a large extended family celebration at her home, Grandpa would make cookies with me.  I loved this time with him.  I felt so grown-up, so special.  Then, while they baked, we would watch A White Christmas.  When he passed away, while I was in college, I asked for the cookie cutters.  Every year I pull them out on Christmas Eve and make cookies with my own children. Someday, I will pull them out and make cookies with my own grandchildren.   I feel Grandpa's love and his presence there with me each time I make cookies with my children.







Ryan asked me to take this picture AND then he asked me to please title it "Diabetes."  I love this silly boy.


After our cookie decorating, we tried to do our traditional re-enactment of the Nativity Story.  We had fewer people than normal, so the guys all played multiple parts.  I was the narrator.  Molly was Mary...complete with yellow icing on her cheek. 


 Ryan played Joseph.


Andrew played the donkey.


Ryan played an angel.


Daddy played an angel, as well.  Andrew played a shepherd.


After our nativity play, we ate yummy food, sang Christmas carols as Andrew AND Ryan accompanied us.  Then the kids went outside to sprinkle their reindeer food on the lawn. We finished the night with a reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas, had family prayer, and headed off to bed with visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads.



No comments: