Friday, January 2, 2015

Polar Express Day

Our new school has a tradition that everyone Kindergarten through fifth grade reads and watches Polar Express the last day before break and wears jammies to school.  The Polar Express is one of my favorite books, so I was as excited as the kids! 

In Kindergarten, the vice principal dresses up like the conductor and punches everyone's tickets in the hallway.  The children drank hot cocoa and sand Christmas carols in the hall.  It was so adorable!




After boarding the train, we had several Polar Express themed centers.

We made reindeer food to sprinkle out on our laws on Christmas Eve.



We decorated train ornaments.


We played a Polar Express Roll and Cover Game.


We had a snowball toss.


And of course, decorated cookies!




Since we had already enjoyed hot cocoa during our hallway train ride, I made these cute water bottle labels and we served water with the cookies.


After I finished in Molly's room, I headed down to Ryan's classroom for about 30 minutes.  His class had enjoyed a yummy breakfast that morning and were making ornaments when I arrived, so I got to help with those for a little bit.


Next I headed to Andrew's room.  They had enjoyed a pancake breakfast and hot cocoa that morning.  I came in time for games and crafts.  We played fun snowball marshmallow games.  First we tried to see how many marshmallows we could transfer with a straw in one minute.  Then we tried to see how tall of a tower we could build with them.


Then we made Jingle Bell Wreath Ornaments and did rainbow scratch off ornaments, too.


After Andrew's party, he was feeling pretty sick.  So instead of heading back to help out more with Ryan's class, I grabbed Andrew and Ryan and headed home.  Molly did not want to leave.  She loves school so much and I am so grateful that she does.   Andrew came home and went to bed and stayed there until the next day.

Being a room mom for two classrooms at a school where all of the parties are held on the same day at the same time is very tricky.  I feel torn in so many directions, but I am grateful I got to be with all three of them for a little while, and hope they won't resent me too much when they grow up that I was never at all of any of their parties.


No comments: