Monday, February 22, 2016

Wax Museum

Ryan came home over a month ago bubbling over with excitement.  The third grade was going to present a wax museum.  Each student drew the name of a famous South Carolinian and were to write a report and dress up like the person they had researched.  A "button" would be placed on the wall and when someone pressed your button, you would give your speech in character.  He could do nothing else that afternoon until we had gone online and ordered him a Revolutionary War costume for his character.  He sifted through the dozens of options, being very particular about the details, reading the reviews, etc... and even chose a wig he liked.  Ryan is very detail oriented. He wrote his paper and practiced a lot.  We both learned a lot about William Moultrie and have even planned a trip to Charleston over spring break to visit the fort named in his honor.  This was something Ryan was very excited about.


Then the moment of the wax museum arrived and he got nervous.  Not about the acting or public speaking.  He loves that!  He was worried that someone might make fun of his costume.  So worried that it paralyzed him with fear.  My poor sweet boy.  We finally "convinced" (lovingly, but sternly forced) him into the costume moments before he was to participate.  He walked into the hall and a friend told him he looked cool.  That was all he needed.  Our pep talk had not worked.  Our bribes had not worked.  Our frustrated threats at the last minute when we had exhausted all other tools in our arsenal had not worked.  The affirmation of his buddy was all he needed.  He had a wonderful time participating in the Wax Museum.  The bigger the group surrounding him to listen to his speech, the happier he was.  Ryan did not want to change out of his costume when it was over.


My friend Julie and I took our boys out to lunch afterwards to celebrate.



Here is his speech he wrote.

"Hi, my name is William Moultrie. I was born on December 4, 1736. I am the son of Dr. John and Lucretia Cooper Moultrie. I am a South Carolina war hero . I was a general of the Revolutionary War in the Battle of Sullivan's Island and became a national hero in 1776 when my unit defeated the British Navy.  We made a fort out of palmetto logs and sand. It was only halfway built when we were attacked, but the British cannonballs bounced off the logs or got stuck in the logs. The site of the battle is now called Fort Moultrie in my honor. After the war, I sat in the House of Representatives and was also governor of South Carolina twice. I also designed the first South Carolina flag. I died on September 27, 1805."

 I actually learned a lot right a long with Ryan.  Not being from SC, I never knew why we had a palm tree and a moon on our flag.  I love what the SC flag stands for now that I know what it represents.  I love learning with my kids.


No comments: