Friday, May 6, 2016

Rachel Graduates College

We were blessed to take a whirlwind trip up to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains to see my baby sister graduate from Southern Virginia University this week.


Rachel was born the summer before my senior year of high school, so I have had the opportunity to watch her grow from an adorable little baby that sucked two pacifiers into a kitty cat that pounced on everyone's laps well into her elementary school years and then into a violin playing- ice skating-National Honor Society member who was always 100% truthful and accurate. She has served a mission for our church and now has earned a 4 year college degree.  I am so proud of her hard work and dedication.  And I can't wait to see where the next part of her journey leads her.  I know that God has a beautiful plan for her life.

We came up the night before graduation and went out to eat at the sushi restaurant that Rachel worked at this school year.


After dinner, we drove up the mountain to look down over the town.


Back at the hotel, Rachel opened her present from our family...a box of confetti and balloons stuffed with money. Of course they were pink!


Rachel posed for us the next morning in her cute dress before she headed to line up. Notice her pearls.  My mom and dad gave each of us a strand of pearls when we graduated college. Three girls and three strands of pearls.



It rained, so the graduation was moved indoors.




There was a lovely reception for graduates and their families afterwards.


The rain slowed to a sprinkle, so we were able to get some pictures together around campus.













Since she graduated on Cinco de Mayo, we went to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch.


After lunch, we hopped back in the car and drove the 5 hours home so we could go back to school and work on Friday.  It was all worth it though to be together.  The boys loved being in the mountains and begged us to take a picture of them on the way home at the gas station, so they could remember how pretty it was.


I know everyone adores their baby sisters, but I think that the age difference makes me feel a tad bit of "motherly" pride in the amazing woman she has become, though I know I had absolutely nothing to do with any of it.  I love you, Rachy.







No comments: